Pediatric Dentistry of Garden City & Glen Cove
Glen Cove: 516-759-7000
Good oral health habits are essential for all parents and kids. However, many people don’t always go about their smile cleaning routines properly. Are you making any of these common oral hygiene mistakes?
Oral Hygiene Mistakes:
- Brushing for Too Long – You should always brush your teeth thoroughly, but brushing them too roughly or for too long can actually be bad for your gums and tooth enamel. We recommend brushing for two minutes!
- Brushing After Meals – You should wait about 30 minutes before brushing your teeth after eating. This gives your saliva time to neutralize any acids that eat away at the enamel on your teeth.
- Hard Bristled Toothbrushes – Choose a toothbrush with a soft bristles and don’t forget to replace it every three months or when it becomes worn.
- Forgetting to Floss – So many of us forget about the importance of flossing every day. Most plaque actually builds in areas your toothbrush can’t reach, in between your teeth.
- Poor Diet – Drinking water, avoiding sweets that dissolve slowly in your mouth, and staying away from foods high in starch are all good habits for healthy teeth.
- Avoiding Check-Ups – Bi-annual cleanings are one of the best ways to keep your mouth healthy and your teeth free of decay. An exam can help identify any problems before they begin to seriously affect your smile health.