Pediatric Dentistry of Garden City & Glen Cove
Glen Cove: 516-759-7000
|Photo Source: pixabay|
Did you have breakfast today? You shouldn’t skip the most important meal of the day! When paired with milk, cereals can be an important source of nutrients in a child’s diet.
Cereal Shopping Tips:
- Packaging – Cereal packaging can be deceiving. Look beyond the colorful, eye-catching boxes and take a look at the nutrition label. While cartoon characters are appealing to children, they are not necessarily the healthiest option.
- Fiber – Children should have cereals with a fiber content of 2-5 grams per serving.
- Sugar – Studies have shown that kids are happy with eating cereal whether it is high or low in sugar. Look for cereals that contain no more than 10-12 grams of sugar.
- Natural Sweeteners – Consider sweetening sugar naturally by adding fresh fruit to your breakfast.
- Whole Grains – Whenever you have the choice, you should always pick whole grains. They are healthier for you and your kids!
For more tips on how to have a healthy breakfast, check out this article from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Contact Pediatric Dentistry of Garden City & Glen Cove for more smile care tips! Call 516-222-5100 to contact our Garden City office or 516-759-7000 to contact our Glen Cove office.